Grassroots Policy Advisory Committee
In order to ensure a vibrant and growing sustainable agriculture movement in Illinois, Illinois Stewardship Alliance formed a Grassroots Policy Advisory Committee (GPAC) to unify the voice of the sustainable agriculture and local food movement in Illinois on policy issues both at the federal and state levels. For more information about GPAC or how to get inovled with the committee's work, contact ISA's Interim Executive Director Wes King.
The goals of GPAC are to:
Develop policy statements and policy positions that can be used to direct staff and board members on a wide range of issues applicable to ISA’s mission.
Develop strategies for responding to new and proposed legislation
Develop legislative priorities based current legislation
Identify areas where new or improved legislation is needed
Develop policy proposals and legislation
Engage stakeholders in the policy process
GPAC's Policy Priorities
- Developing tiered regulations to eliminate legal and regulatory barriers burdening the local food and farm economy.
- Developing local food and farm infrastructure through technical assistance, funding streams, and regulatory reform.
- Leveraging support of citizens, legislators, organizations, and other farmers through education about policy ramifications and engagement in the policy making process.
- Increasing access to local food for low-income and underserved populations through the support of Illinois Fresh Food Fund, support programs and policies to provide SNAP/EBT Infrastructure at Farmers' Markets and other farm-direct enterprises
- Supporting appropriate food safety rules and regulations through engagement with regulatory agencies and support for legislative reforms.
- Increasing access to land and farmland preservation by supporting and developing progressive reforms in land use policy.
Represented Members of GPAC:
Angelic Organics Learning Center
Cedar Valley Sustainable Farm
Common Ground Food Co-Op - Urbana, IL
Faith In Place
Food Works - Southern Illinois
Illinois Environmental Council
Liberty Prairie Foundation
Seven Generations Ahead
Triple S Farms
Western Illinois Sustainable Agriculture Society